Emulating the Tremor Pak as the Rumble Pak

Discuss any suggestions you may have here.
OldGnashburg
Location: Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada: A place with free universal healthcare, and lots and lots of oil.

Emulating the Tremor Pak as the Rumble Pak

Post by OldGnashburg » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:08 pm

If anybody has ever used the Tremor Pak or Tremor Pak Plus they would know it does things a bit differently than the Official Rumble Pak. In Ocarina of Time for example, the Tremor Pak also rumbles during collision's and sword attacks with walls and when you use a bomb or get hit by an enemy. It's a smart Rumble Pak that vibrates at when certain things happen in games to give it more realistic feedback. I think it would be worth simulating this more than the traditional Rumble Pak.
Gnash, Gnash, Gnash...

Nintendo Maniac 64

Re: Emulating the Tremor Pak as the Rumble Pak

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:40 am

I'm one of those crazy people that never cared much for rumble, but are you absolutely sure that the Tremor pack actually rumbled for things that the rumble pack did not?

While I don't have an N64 rumble pack, I do have the GameCube version of Ocarina of Time Master Quest and 3 wired GC controllers, so I suppose I could test out the rumble there...
CEN64 Forum's resident straight-male kuutsundere
(just "tsundere" makes people think of "Shana clones" *shivers*)

CPU+iGPU: Pentium G3258 @ 4.6GHz/1.281v
dGPU: Radeon HD5870 1GB
RAM: Vengeance 1600 4x4GB

OldGnashburg
Location: Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada: A place with free universal healthcare, and lots and lots of oil.

Post by OldGnashburg » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:59 pm

Yeah, that was the whole selling point for the Tremor Pak. And what's more is that the Tremor Pak Plus has a slot for a Controller Pak and a switch that you could flip whenever you would need to use the Controller Pak while in game. The Tremor Pak still does rumble as normal, but for games that support (most games that supported the Rumble Pak supported the Tremor Pak) the Tremor Pak it rumbled in certain cutscenes and at certain explosions or object collisions that the regular version didn't.
Gnash, Gnash, Gnash...

Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:53 pm

Uhhhh, I just tested the rumble in the version of Ocarina of Time that's on the Master Quest GameCube disc and it totally rumbles when I swing the sword at a wall...

OldGnashburg

Post by OldGnashburg » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:16 pm

So does my Zelda: Collector's Edition. But are you sure it is simulating the first party version of the Rumble Pak, or is the GameCube rumble feature its own thing?
Gnash, Gnash, Gnash...

Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:22 pm

OldGnashburg wrote:is the GameCube rumble feature its own thing?
All I know is, the GameCube versions of Ocarina of Time are simply N64 roms running in an emulator.

OldGnashburg

Post by OldGnashburg » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:45 pm

Master Quest was originally designed for the 64DD and was converted to an Nintendo 64 ROM and then ported to the GameCube. But what I was wondering is if the GameCube is simulating the behaviour of the original N64 Rumble Pak meaning the original rumble pak did rumble at the same instances as the Tremor Pak. Or does the GameCube rumble feature not simulating anything and instead is reading any impact signals like the Tremor Pak but not simulating any accessory behaviours.
Gnash, Gnash, Gnash...

Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:05 pm

OldGnashburg wrote:Master Quest was originally designed for the 64DD and was converted to an Nintendo 64 ROM and then ported to the GameCube.
But I was testing with non-Master Quest Ocarina of Time...

An easy test would be to simply load up the GameCube version in any old N64 emulator since, again, it's just a plain old N64 rom.

OldGnashburg

Post by OldGnashburg » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:56 am

That would not work because the GameCube itself is handling its own rumble simulation whether it is mimicking the original rumble pak or running similarly to the Tremor Pak while not actually endorsing the Tremor Pak, but just reading the extra signals the Tremor Pak is supposed to pick up. Nintendo 64 Emulators do not simulate GameCube behaviour just because the Nintendo 64 ROM is run on a GameCube.
Gnash, Gnash, Gnash...

Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:11 pm

Are you absolutely positive about that?

Sintendo

Post by Sintendo » Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:46 am

So let's assume the Tremor Pak indeed rumbles in cases where the original Rumble Pak wouldn't. Keep in mind the Tremor Pak was not an officially endorsed product. Would Nintendo go out of their way to add additional rumble information to their games, only for it to be entirely unused in their official rumble accessory? Would Nintendo allow games from other developers to support third-party hardware? I find that very implausible.

The only way I can think of achieving something like that without explicit support by the software, would be by using a microphone to detect loud noises from the television and rumbling in response to that. But I can't see that working very well; it would pick up noise from other sources as well, it wouldn't work if you lower or mute your TV's volume, etc.

Everywhere I look online says the Tremor Pak was an just unofficial third-party Rumble Pak. Your memory is faulty.