angrylion RDP plugin almost threaded

Discuss any unrelated topics here.
Matti

Re: angrylion RDP plugin almost threaded

Post by Matti » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:04 am

For me the git master branch uses 1 and a half core (~130-150% usage). The angrylion-rdp-sse branch uses 2 cores (~200% CPU usage). AVX build, build today.

edit: And I got around 41 VI/s on an 2Ghz i7 (boosts to 3Ghz) in the Funnel Cube Demo.

MarathonMan
Site Admin

Post by MarathonMan » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:10 pm

That sounds right. master branch can still only effectively use 2 cores with multithreading. angrylion-rdp-sse branch changed it so that, effectively, 3 cores can be used.

Haswell/Broadwell/Skylake also run CEN64 a lot faster (clock for clock) than their predecessors. Dolphin observed something similar in this regard.

On a 2.8GHz/3.2GHz (stock/turbo) i7 mobile (dual core, hyperthreaded) Haswell, I currently get about 53-55VI/s on the funnelcube demo.

Make sure you are still passing -multithread when running with angrylion-rdp-sse builds.

asiga

Post by asiga » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:13 pm

MarathonMan wrote:I don't see it really scaling beyond a quad core. Only 3 of the cores are really "busy" (the fourth is just to handle the GUI, render the screen, etc.) For the best performance, you want a true quad core, though -- there's a notable difference between a dual-core hyperthreaded CPU, and one that actually has 4 cores.

In the future, I hope to use fewer cores once I finish the rewrite. The rule of thumb is probably thus: get the highest clocked quad core you can find. If you're on a budget, get the highest clocked dual core with hyperthreading you can find.
Thanks for the clarification I'll go for the best i7 available.

fla56

Post by fla56 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:56 am

hey guys, am guessing you know about this but putting all this together? wow...

https://github.com/ata4/angrylion-rdp-plus

this scales across many many cores...