Stupid Question, have you heard of these? Plus GPU's.

Discuss topics related to development here.
OldGnashburg
Location: Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada: A place with free universal healthcare, and lots and lots of oil.

Stupid Question, have you heard of these? Plus GPU's.

Post by OldGnashburg » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:00 pm

Hey MarathonMan, have you heard of these? I am not a programmer but maybe these could be useful:

OpenMP
OpenML
OpenCL
OpenMAX
OpenHMPP
And other Open?? stuff I found online.

Plus, what are you planning to do with GPU's?
Gnash, Gnash, Gnash...

MarathonMan
Site Admin

Re: Stupid Question, have you heard of these? Plus GPU's.

Post by MarathonMan » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:09 pm

As far as I'm concerned, the latency/access penalty of anything off-core (GPGPU, a hardware-accelerated FPGA even) are all far to great to handle unless a entirely different approach to cycle-accurate emulation is brainstormed. You could list every single acceleration library known to man and they'll all fail for the same reason that a multi-threaded approach does: inability to rollback efficiently/poor latency. They all provide great bandwidth and promise if you can get around that concrete wall of a roadblock, though.

The best approach that I can think of, right now, would be to try and leverage TSX (or an incredibly clever use of vectorization/rollback) and see if that yields any benefits. Unfortunately, I've spent too much time trying to accelerate things in the past and need to allocate more times to other purposes for now, given my limited time window to work on this project as of late.

Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:34 pm

MarathonMan wrote:the latency/access penalty of anything off-core (GPGPU, a hardware-accelerated FPGA even) are all far to great to handle
Are you saying anything outside of the main CPU core has too much latency, or anything outside of the entire CPU as a whole? If the former, is that partially why multithreading hasn't worked out for CEN64? If the latter, what about on-die GPUs, particularly those with coherent memory space access, like Kaveri?
CEN64 Forum's resident straight-male kuutsundere
(just "tsundere" makes people think of "Shana clones" *shivers*)

CPU+iGPU: Pentium G3258 @ 4.6GHz/1.281v
dGPU: Radeon HD5870 1GB
RAM: Vengeance 1600 4x4GB

Nacho

Post by Nacho » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:18 pm

What Marathon Man was trying to say is that when you attempt to parallelize (multithread, GPU, whatever...) you have a huge penalty caused by latency between CPU cores, or between CPU-GPU.

So, the benefit of "multicoring" CEN64 is ruined by the latency between cores.

...Unless... someone comes with a new mindblasting out-of-the-box way of programming CPU simulators :P

Since you mentioned FPGAs... Would it be even possible (in a far far far future of course) to have a FPGA hardware implementation of CEN64? That would be truly epic!
Testing CEN64 on: Intel Core i5 520M 2.4 GHz. SSE2 SSE3 SSE4.1 SSE4.2 SSSE3, but no AVX. Ubuntu Linux

Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:28 pm

Nacho wrote:What Marathon Man was trying to say is that when you attempt to parallelize (multithread, GPU, whatever...) you have a huge penalty caused by latency between CPU cores, or between CPU-GPU.
So indeed it was "the former" of what I said, and therefore it doesn't matter what is on the CPU die since the latency issues present themselves just by going outside of a CPU core itself.

Mizox

Post by Mizox » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:10 pm

Nacho wrote:Since you mentioned FPGAs... Would it be even possible (in a far far far future of course) to have a FPGA hardware implementation of CEN64? That would be truly epic!
or... you know... use actual N64 hardware... (which they do sell in China) and maybe... I dunno... replace the DAC I guess.

Nacho

Post by Nacho » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:36 pm

Mizox wrote:
Nacho wrote:Since you mentioned FPGAs... Would it be even possible (in a far far far future of course) to have a FPGA hardware implementation of CEN64? That would be truly epic!
or... you know... use actual N64 hardware... (which they do sell in China) and maybe... I dunno... replace the DAC I guess.
Yeah, I could use also an actual N64 instead CEN64... but then, the goal this whole forum would be senseless.

Didn't know that they sell N64 SoC's in China. I don't believe that.
Testing CEN64 on: Intel Core i5 520M 2.4 GHz. SSE2 SSE3 SSE4.1 SSE4.2 SSSE3, but no AVX. Ubuntu Linux

Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:58 pm

Remember, they had the iQue player in China - it was basically an entire N64 inside an Xbox "duke"-looking controller.

Mizox

Post by Mizox » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:14 pm

Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote:Remember, they had the iQue player in China - it was basically an entire N64 inside an Xbox "duke"-looking controller.
those are what I was referring to yeah. I'm not sure if they're 100% accurate to the original hardware. but from what I've read they can at least run the software natively

MarathonMan
Site Admin

Post by MarathonMan » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:27 pm

Mizox wrote:
Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote:Remember, they had the iQue player in China - it was basically an entire N64 inside an Xbox "duke"-looking controller.
those are what I was referring to yeah. I'm not sure if they're 100% accurate to the original hardware. but from what I've read they can at least run the software natively
It's not. The iQue is all on one SoC and uses DDR SDRAM instead of RDRAM.

Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:41 pm

MarathonMan wrote:It's not. The iQue is all on one SoC and uses DDR SDRAM instead of RDRAM.
But the RAM isn't in the actual SoC is it not? Therefore wouldn't that make it possible for the SoC itself to be compatible with actual N64 software?