Recommended rig for CEN64

Discuss any unrelated topics here.
OldGnashburg
Location: Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada: A place with free universal healthcare, and lots and lots of oil.

Recommended rig for CEN64

Post by OldGnashburg » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:19 pm

I am looking for information on custom building an extremely powerful rig with an overclocked Pentium G3258. I want to use it for running CEN64 and Cryzenx's Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask Unreal Engine 4 remakes. However, with CEN64 now being multi-threaded and the G3258 only having two cores that do not support hyper-threading I was wondering if there was going to be an option for single or dual core mode in CEN64. I was also wondering what kind of GPU I should have. I want a high-end Pascal GPU however I don't know which will give me the best bang for my buck. Could anybody recommended a configuration?
Gnash, Gnash, Gnash...

AIO

Re: Recommended rig for CEN64

Post by AIO » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:02 pm

I hear an i3 6100 is a good budget cpu. Too bad you can't effectively overclock it though. Skylakes have good IPC, which is very important for CEN64.

GPU doesn't really matter for N64 emulation. I heard IGP is actually faster at blitting, so you may be better off just using IGP for CEN64. I think 1060 is all you need for modern gaming if you only use 1080p. If you want to use 1440p or 4k, then you'll want a stronger card.

I recommend paying extra, for fast RAM. Memory accesses seem to be a bottleneck in N64 emulation.

OldGnashburg
Location: Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada: A place with free universal healthcare, and lots and lots of oil.

Post by OldGnashburg » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:59 pm

Pentium only supports DDR3 RAM. I think. Is there any reasonably priced more modern processor I can overclock as efficiently as the G3258? Preferably one that can reach 5 GHz and still be stable with the right cooling, however my minimum requirements is 4.5 GHz.
Gnash, Gnash, Gnash...

AIO

Post by AIO » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:12 pm

If you really want very good performance, then you should get the i5 6600k. Not sure if you consider it "reasonably priced", but I don't think you can find a better deal for the performance you'll be getting. Emulators tend to access memory more often than your typical program, so RAM is very important. I'd do some research on which RAM to get, if I were you.

Kaede

Post by Kaede » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:11 pm

Whatever you do, don't get a dual-core CPU. Quad-core are not much more pricey than dual-cores, yet they can offer twice the overall performance, and many programs will run much faster due to being multithreaded.
Most emulators are "poorly" multithreaded, but it is because they are a particular class of programs with their own requirements (besides, some emulators already make use of two cores : PCSX2, Dolphin). Many other programs do work than can be parallelized more easily and will benefit greatly for more than 2 cores.

MarathonMan
Site Admin

Post by MarathonMan » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:02 am

Wait for Kaby Lake to hit the shelves. The boost clocks are a lot higher, which will help CEN64.

The i7-7700(k) will have a boost clock of 4.5GHz out of the box. You'll probably want at least a i5-7600(k) for CEN64.

OldGnashburg

Post by OldGnashburg » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:53 pm

@ MarathonMan: Good idea, it would give me enough time save up for a rig with a recent i7.

EDIT:
Do you know where I can find info on the high-end i7-7xxx laptop CPU's?
Gnash, Gnash, Gnash...

Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:36 am

OldGnashburg wrote:Do you know where I can find info on the high-end i7-7xxx laptop CPU's?
Totally late on this, but wikipedia actually has a chart of the currently-known mobile kaby lake CPUs:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaby_Lake ... processors

Also, there's always Zen, but I don't think anyone really expects it to beat Intel in single-threaded performance when price isn't a factor.
CEN64 Forum's resident straight-male kuutsundere
(just "tsundere" makes people think of "Shana clones" *shivers*)

CPU+iGPU: Pentium G3258 @ 4.6GHz/1.281v
dGPU: Radeon HD5870 1GB
RAM: Vengeance 1600 4x4GB