64Drive: Savestates possible?

Discuss any unrelated topics here.
OldGnashburg
Location: Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada: A place with free universal healthcare, and lots and lots of oil.

64Drive: Savestates possible?

Post by OldGnashburg » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:23 pm

With the PlayStation Portable, there is a homebrew plugin which allows the user to save and load the console's state, like an emulator would, but on the actual hardware. Since I don't believe the Nintendo 64 has the capabilities to run such a plugin internally, I was wondering if it was possible to save a state on a computer through the 64Drive's USB Mode and then load the state onto the Nintendo 64. I think if someone could successfully pull it off it would be a good tool for the study of the Nintendo 64 hardware, and for the casual gamer who has a 64Drive (like me) fun to screw around with.
Gnash, Gnash, Gnash...

Kerr Avon

Re: 64Drive: Savestates possible?

Post by Kerr Avon » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:47 pm

I asked Krikzz this question (well, could an Everdrive be made to support N64 snapshots), and he said no, as the N64 has lots of write-only ports, and the Everdrive has no way of knowing what values these ports would be holding when a snapshot was taken, so the resulting snapshot could not contain the right data to set the ports to the right values when loading a snapshot.