Just my two cents, and a worthwhile idea.

Discuss any unrelated topics here.
OldGnashburg
Location: Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada: A place with free universal healthcare, and lots and lots of oil.

Just my two cents, and a worthwhile idea.

Post by OldGnashburg » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:18 pm

It's been a little while since I've last posted here but I've been reading some of the newer threads. First off, I love the forum style, and second I 100% support MarathonMan's idea for a cycle accurate dynarec core. As long as in the end CEN64 cycle accurate, opcode accurate, and pixel accurate I'll always support MarathonMan. However there is still a preference towards a non-cycle accurate RDP, which I believe - in my truest and most honest opinion - is bullshit. You cannot call CEN64 cycle accurate without making the whole thing cycle accurate. So I'm going to propose an idea and I hope that some of the more knowledgable (programming-wise) can discuss it on this thread and hopefully agree. My idea is for CEN64 to have the option to have either a cycle accurate or non cycle accurate RDP for those who do not want to shell out a few to several thousand dollars on a (in my case I'd get a laptop) computer that will have enough power to run programs like CEN64 with a CA RDP. It would be a lot of work but I can be done and I believe it would be for the best.
Gnash, Gnash, Gnash...

AIO

Re: Just my two cents, and a worthwhile idea.

Post by AIO » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:21 pm

OldGnashburg wrote:However there is still a preference towards a non-cycle accurate RDP, which I believe - in my truest and most honest opinion - is bullshit.
I don't know what you're talking about. I don't see how focusing on other parts of N64 emulation, has anything to do with having a preference towards a non-cycle accurate RDP...
OldGnashburg wrote:You cannot call CEN64 cycle accurate without making the whole thing cycle accurate.
Not only is this obvious and everybody should know this already, but he's already explained his plans http://forums.cen64.com/viewtopic.php?p=2028#p2028 .

asiga

Post by asiga » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 am

OldGnashburg wrote:for those who do not want to shell out a few to several thousand dollars on a (in my case I'd get a laptop) computer that will have enough power to run programs like CEN64 with a CA RDP
AFAIK, the main topic of the latest threads is that such machines, with power enough for running CEN64 in real time don't exist yet, and won't exist either in the foreseeable future, given the very slow progress in performance from new Intel processors.

MarathonMan
Site Admin

Post by MarathonMan » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:56 am

asiga wrote:
OldGnashburg wrote:for those who do not want to shell out a few to several thousand dollars on a (in my case I'd get a laptop) computer that will have enough power to run programs like CEN64 with a CA RDP
AFAIK, the main topic of the latest threads is that such machines, with power enough for running CEN64 in real time don't exist yet, and won't exist either in the foreseeable future, given the very slow progress in performance from new Intel processors.
The third generation CEN64 core (WIP) will actually make this a reality. :)
asiga wrote:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product

Apply overclock to ~4.5GHz and you're good to go. You can build a PC capable of running CEN64 for $250-300.

OldGnashburg
Location: Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada: A place with free universal healthcare, and lots and lots of oil.

Post by OldGnashburg » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:47 am

Alright,maybe this thread was pointless as I did not remember that as being part of MarathonMan's plans. I thought based on some of the newer threads exploring the idea of having a hardware accelerated RDP or just a PA RDP because it's so much of a performance killer meant that there was a serious chance that CEN64 would not have a cycle accurate RDP.

@ MarathonMan
I'm a laptop guy. So sending me a link to a cheap desktop processor which can be overclocked to sh*t doesn't help. Maybe in the future I might buy a desktop but not before I buy a 4.0GHz+ Laptop. My only other option is to overclock my ASUS K53SD DS-71 with Quad-Core Intel i7 2670QM @ 2.2 to 3.1 GHz. So unless anybody here knows how I overclock my laptop to at least 3.7 GHz while still being safe from overheating, I'm just going to get a several thousand dollar laptop.
Gnash, Gnash, Gnash...

asiga

Post by asiga » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:37 am

MarathonMan wrote: The third generation CEN64 core (WIP) will actually make this a reality. :)
This is great to hear!! I hope it performs just how you expect!!

I'm also in a similar scenario, not N64, but trying to accelerate an algorithm with OpenCL. I've been fighting for months now, but the best I got is about 2x performance increase when using GPU compared to when using CPU. But I won't surrender, I believe I must find a way for getting at least 4x increase.

I hope you achieve better results in your third core than myself in this "OpenCL vs me" endless fight.