Where did MarathonMan go? Project dead?

Discuss any unrelated topics here.
OldGnashburg
Location: Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada: A place with free universal healthcare, and lots and lots of oil.

Where did MarathonMan go? Project dead?

Post by OldGnashburg » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:20 pm

As the title implies, where did MarathonMan, last time I checked the GitHub repository for CEN64 has had zero activity for almost a month. Did something happen to him? He seemed to have just dropped off the face of the planet. Are things just slow right now?
Gnash, Gnash, Gnash...

MarathonMan
Site Admin

Re: Where did MarathonMan go? Project dead?

Post by MarathonMan » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:27 pm

The project is still very much alive. Just too busy with work and other real-life issues at the moment to sit down and hack on this. Hopefully a window of time will open up soon.

ShadowFX

Post by ShadowFX » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:51 am

The forum is also in dire need of refreshment, I'll try and resume that work somewhere in the coming weeks.
I'm not sure how the website itself is progressing as beannaich is/was working on that one :)
"Change is inevitable; progress is optional"

Specs: Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2GHz, 16GB DDR4-RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
Main build: AVX (official)

OldGnashburg
Location: Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada: A place with free universal healthcare, and lots and lots of oil.

Post by OldGnashburg » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:17 pm

@ MarathonMan
I was wondering were you went, wasn't sure what was happening. I knew you were around as your tool chain had recent activity, however there was no word or anything on development. LuigiBlood was still around. By the way, how goes the Nintendo 64 DD emulation? You said something that worried me a while back when you introduced that makeshift multi-threading hack, and you said something about it sacrificing cycle-accuracy. That will change right? I have been hanging around on the Project 64 forums quite a bit and a while ago I was chatting with HatCat/Iconoclast and he was being critical about CEN64 claiming that there was a lot of "dishonesty" going around, and made the point that CEN64 isn't even opcode accurate. Is your plan still almost complete accuracy? I'm not complaining, just wondering about this as HatCat made a fair point.
Gnash, Gnash, Gnash...

MarathonMan
Site Admin

Post by MarathonMan » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:14 am

OldGnashburg wrote:@ MarathonMan
I was wondering were you went, wasn't sure what was happening. I knew you were around as your tool chain had recent activity, however there was no word or anything on development. LuigiBlood was still around. By the way, how goes the Nintendo 64 DD emulation? You said something that worried me a while back when you introduced that makeshift multi-threading hack, and you said something about it sacrificing cycle-accuracy. That will change right? I have been hanging around on the Project 64 forums quite a bit and a while ago
LuigiBlood got tied up on the 64DD emulation and needed a debugger to continue, which is one of the reasons I started working on that project. I suppose things still stand in the same state, as I haven't made any progress wrt commit history. At this point, though, it's probably just easier to incorporate MAME's findings and use those to amend the issues with LuigiBlood's fork/branch.

Yes, as I said above, I still have all sorts of goals and huge changes I'm planning to make to CEN64. But, without disclosing too much of my personal life, I work easily, at least, 60 hours a week right now. Honestly: on most days when I come home, I don't have the will-power to work anymore, even if it's something I enjoy doing. Large changes like exploring multi-threading of a cycle-accurate emulator, of which the only other emulator I know to even attempt such a feat is Exodus, requires a lot of patience, energy, and persistence -- qualities which I cannot find time to harbour at the moment.
OldGnashburg wrote:I was chatting with HatCat/Iconoclast and he was being critical about CEN64 claiming that there was a lot of "dishonesty" going around, and made the point that CEN64 isn't even opcode accurate. Is your plan still almost complete accuracy? I'm not complaining, just wondering about this as HatCat made a fair point.
HatCat is all bark and no bite. I, personally, won't sling any more mud than that, but note that his commit history is pretty indicative of his style: https://github.com/project64/project64/ ... uthor=cxd4

BTW - when he says "CEN64 isn't opcode accurate", he's probably just referring to unimplemented opcodes. Yes, there are absolutely unimplemented components and opcodes in CEN64. Audio doesn't work either, so I guess CEN64 is inaccurate. :roll: And in the unlikely event that he's not referring to the unimplemented components, the proper thing to do would be to file a bug report instead of just being negative about it.

LuigiBlood

Post by LuigiBlood » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:32 am

To be honest I may not need a debugger since MESS does support 64DD now. I can just port that.

But life got in the way in my case also, I'll totally work on 64DD emulation on CEN64 when I'm able to.
I'll also try to support unconverted dumps.

Snowstorm64

Post by Snowstorm64 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:09 pm

MarathonMan wrote: BTW - when he says "CEN64 isn't opcode accurate", he's probably just referring to unimplemented opcodes. Yes, there are absolutely unimplemented components and opcodes in CEN64.
Speaking of which, where has AIO gone? His contributions to the opcodes have been very important to CEN64's development, what has happened to him? Is he done with it, or has he been busy with life/work too?
CPU: Intel i7 4770K @ 3.5 GHz
Build: AVX (compiled from git)

AIO

Post by AIO » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:13 pm

Snowstorm64 wrote:Speaking of which, where has AIO gone? His contributions to the opcodes have been very important to CEN64's development, what has happened to him? Is he done with it, or has he been busy with life/work too?
I'm still around :D . I've just been preoccupied, to say the least. I'm not sure what I can help with, unless there are still problems with the RSP. I'm trying to learn new things now, but I get carried away easily sometimes.

I hope to move onto the RDP and/or CPU soon though. I've been wanting to learn more about them. I'll be glad to continue helping though, if I can.

OldGnashburg

Post by OldGnashburg » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:26 pm

MarathonMan wrote:HatCat is all bark and no bite. I, personally, won't sling any more mud than that, but note that his commit history is pretty indicative of his style: https://github.com/project64/project64/ ... uthor=cxd4
Just looked at the link. That's actually kind of funny, and I thought I could be a grammar Nazi sometimes, ROFL.

Is everyone here? Beannich is still unaccounted for, is he working on the site still? Oh, and MarathonMan, you ARE going to make the RDP Cycle Exact right?

Anyways, do what you developers got to do.

Hey, is anybody excited for GLideN64's release very, very soon? I know this is a forum for accurate Nintendo 64 Emulation, but Djipi's coming out with the most beautiful Texture Packs for Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, he's releasing it when GLideN64 is publicly released.

OldGnashburg out!
Gnash, Gnash, Gnash...

ShadowFX

Post by ShadowFX » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:23 am

OldGnashburg wrote:Hey, is anybody excited for GLideN64's release very, very soon? I know this is a forum for accurate Nintendo 64 Emulation, but Djipi's coming out with the most beautiful Texture Packs for Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, he's releasing it when GLideN64 is publicly released.
Sure, I'm kind of following its progress. I never backed the program though because I wasn't interested at first. But it seems the plugin definitely has its place in the community. I think it's now a hybrid kind of video plugin, doing LLE and HLE techniques. Not to deviate from this thread too much, I still don't have much faith in all the existing emulators its supposed to be compatible with.
"Change is inevitable; progress is optional"

Specs: Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2GHz, 16GB DDR4-RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
Main build: AVX (official)

LuigiBlood

Post by LuigiBlood » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:21 am

Meh, I said I was too busy but I said "fuck it". I'm doing the port. And I'm stuck again. I love it.

Snowstorm64

Post by Snowstorm64 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:46 am

AIO wrote: I'm not sure what I can help with, unless there are still problems with the RSP.
Well, there aren't really any problems, but... there's some unimplemented RSP opcodes that I consider very important, namely LTV/STV (for some lighting effects, like in SM64) and maybe MTC0 (e.g. Mortal Kombat 4 doesn't work properly without it). If you want to help us with these, naturally. ;)
Luigiblood wrote: Meh, I said I was too busy but I said "fuck it". I'm doing the port. And I'm stuck again. I love it.
Don't give up! :) You're really close to the goal, you need just a little more effort to finish it!

iwasaperson

Post by iwasaperson » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:58 pm

So this is a thing: http://www.emutalk.net/threads/55481-an ... ith-OpenGL

An OpenGL implementation of angrylion's RDP that's cross-platform. Think it could be useful?

OldGnashburg

Post by OldGnashburg » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:48 pm

That's a new release of HatCat/CXD4/Iconoclast's mod of Angrylion's Pixel-Accurate RDP, I've been following his thread on Project 64 Forums for almost a year. Although it was made by Angrylion, HatCat has made it beautiful. What do you think MarathonMan? Port it, make it cycle-accurate, multi-thread it, optimize it, add whatever features you want and you would have just shaved off at least a year of development by not having to make your own RDP from scratch.
Gnash, Gnash, Gnash...

AIO

Post by AIO » Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:02 am

Snowstorm64 wrote:Well, there aren't really any problems, but... there's some unimplemented RSP opcodes that I consider very important, namely LTV/STV (for some lighting effects, like in SM64) and maybe MTC0 (e.g. Mortal Kombat 4 doesn't work properly without it). If you want to help us with these, naturally. ;)
Well, I'm not too sure why MarathonMan has not implemented those yet. I don't think it would take long tbh, unless some tests on the hardware need to be done. I believe he is easily capable if implementing it himself, but I'll help with what I can. In any case, I will try reviewing CEN64's RSP code.
OldGnashburg wrote:Although it was made by Angrylion, HatCat has made it beautiful.
How so?

Iconoclast

Post by Iconoclast » Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:32 pm

Win32 beauty in that plugin is not my responsibility. AIO/RPGMaster/LegendOfDragoon contributed all that stuff.

Never was a GUIs/framework person personally, so he decided to add that himself. Currently I just focused on filter quality and lower-level control over the pixel transfers, since I've been bombarded with feature requests outside of optimizing the RDP.

MarathonMan
Site Admin

Post by MarathonMan » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:20 pm

OldGnashburg wrote:Port it, make it cycle-accurate, multi-thread it, optimize it, add whatever features you want and you would have just shaved off at least a year of development by not having to make your own RDP from scratch.
Making a cycle-accurate of model of something usually starts from ground zero. That plugin aims to be pixel-accurate, and while it's really good at what it does, restructuring something of this scale into a cycle-accurate thing would be an incredible feat.

Snowstorm64

Post by Snowstorm64 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:10 pm

Iconoclast wrote:Win32 beauty in that plugin is not my responsibility.
That, and also some DirectDraw stuff. This is the reason why people who use exclusively or mainly Linux/OS X cannot appreciate original Angrylion's RDP, because other platforms can't get the same functionality (namely, VI filters) that Windows gets, because those features are binded to some libraries that are exclusive of this platform. I'm glad the fork happened.

EDIT: Just realized that these ifdef are for the fork, not the original version. Oh well...at least we got OpenGL.

OldGnashburg

Post by OldGnashburg » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:18 pm

MarathonMan wrote:
OldGnashburg wrote:Port it, make it cycle-accurate, multi-thread it, optimize it, add whatever features you want and you would have just shaved off at least a year of development by not having to make your own RDP from scratch.
Making a cycle-accurate of model of something usually starts from ground zero. That plugin aims to be pixel-accurate, and while it's really good at what it does, restructuring something of this scale into a cycle-accurate thing would be an incredible feat.
Oh, well scratch that off the magical list of good ideas. I basically have no concept of what code is so at least I have an excuse. I guess a CA and PA RDP from scratch is the way to go. Quick question, does the Disk Drive modify the Nintendo 64's graphics by having it's own video chip or something? Is CEN64 just going emulate games or are the other features going to be emulated as well?
Gnash, Gnash, Gnash...

MarathonMan
Site Admin

Post by MarathonMan » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:16 pm

OldGnashburg wrote:Quick question, does the Disk Drive modify the Nintendo 64's graphics by having it's own video chip or something? Is CEN64 just going emulate games or are the other features going to be emulated as well?
The 64DD is more or less just a proprietary Zip drive (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zip_drive) for the N64. There's no video chip or anything; it ties right into the rest of the console.

The only work on 64DD that I've done/plan to do for awhile is setting up the IPL/high-level structure of the "plugin". @LuigiBlood is pretty much spearheading all aspects of the implementation, so I guess it's up to him? Though I'm not really sure what 'other features' you're talking about...

LuigiBlood

Post by LuigiBlood » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:30 pm

OldGnashburg wrote:Quick question, does the Disk Drive modify the Nintendo 64's graphics by having it's own video chip or something? Is CEN64 just going emulate games or are the other features going to be emulated as well?
64DD is ONLY a disk drive with a Real Time Clock in there, and has a library of fonts and sounds. It has no other features.

The RTC is trivial and was emulated even before someone managed to run any games on MESS' 64DD emulation.
The library of fonts and sounds is part of the 64DD IPL, which is emulated without much trouble as well.

The hard part is the disk drive... and it's a pain in the ass to make it work on CEN64. I don't know how I'll make it work. It's so close to be working.

EDIT:
https://github.com/LuigiBlood/cen64/tree/64dd

My changes are there. If anyone can figure out...

Iconoclast

Post by Iconoclast » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:44 pm

Snowstorm64 wrote:
Iconoclast wrote:Win32 beauty in that plugin is not my responsibility.
That, and also some DirectDraw stuff. This is the reason why people who use exclusively or mainly Linux/OS X cannot appreciate original Angrylion's RDP, because other platforms can't get the same functionality (namely, VI filters) that Windows gets, because those features are binded to some libraries that are exclusive of this platform. I'm glad the fork happened.
The real problem actually was that Microsoft DirectDraw has GPU-defined scaled blitting. If you took angrylion's original plugin and ran it on his video card, my video card, and your video card, you would get inconsistent results with how the video is scaled to fit the emulation screen. That was the real reason that I went out of my way to understand using OpenGL, along with others. (DirectX sucks, COM sucks, C++ sucks, and, as you addressed, Win32-only code sucks.)
Snowstorm64 wrote:EDIT: Just realized that these ifdef are for the fork, not the original version. Oh well...at least we got OpenGL.
Dunno, maybe. Guess it depends exactly what you meant.

I recall there was a lot of #ifdef needed for X11/SDL to initialize the context outside of the GDI integration Windows uses, but there is no DirectDraw code left in the plugin if that is what you meant.
OldGnashburg wrote:
MarathonMan wrote:
Oh, well scratch that off the magical list of good ideas. I basically have no concept of what code is so at least I have an excuse. I guess a CA and PA RDP from scratch is the way to go.
Well I think what he's not telling you, is that CEN64 RDP already is angrylion RDP. It's just a different fork of it than mine.

MarathonMan
Site Admin

Post by MarathonMan » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:15 am

Iconoclast wrote:Well I think what he's not telling you, is that CEN64 RDP already is angrylion RDP.
Based on the fact that the branch is named angrylion-rdp, and the number of times I mentioned it on these forums already, I assume that's common knowledge.

Also, source: https://github.com/tj90241/cen64/blob/a ... ideo.c#L69

Snowstorm64

Post by Snowstorm64 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:50 am

LuigiBlood wrote: EDIT:
https://github.com/LuigiBlood/cen64/tree/64dd

My changes are there. If anyone can figure out...
Aside from the disk drive issues, I can't get the RTC to work and I can't figure why...
Iconoclast wrote: The real problem actually was that Microsoft DirectDraw has GPU-defined scaled blitting. If you took angrylion's original plugin and ran it on his video card, my video card, and your video card, you would get inconsistent results with how the video is scaled to fit the emulation screen. That was the real reason that I went out of my way to understand using OpenGL, along with others. (DirectX sucks, COM sucks, C++ sucks, and, as you addressed, Win32-only code sucks.)
Dunno, maybe. Guess it depends exactly what you meant.

I recall there was a lot of #ifdef needed for X11/SDL to initialize the context outside of the GDI integration Windows uses, but there is no DirectDraw code left in the plugin if that is what you meant.
Now I know why you decided to fork Angrylion's RDP, thanks for the explanation!

So actually these ifdef aren't that important, if not make the plugin working properly on Windows? I'm relieved.

Iconoclast

Post by Iconoclast » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:47 am

Snowstorm64 wrote:Now I know why you decided to fork Angrylion's RDP, thanks for the explanation!

So actually these ifdef aren't that important, if not make the plugin working properly on Windows? I'm relieved.
It's to cycle between three things.
  1. X11 context creation on Unix, via GLX
  2. GDI context creation on Windows, via WGL
  3. SDL OpenGL context creation, to debug framework management problems I've had with X11 keyboard events in Mupen64 0.5
As long as you make efforts to avoid overkill, #ifdef also is important for maintainability, not just portability.

For example we have this macro I added recently to my later source, which is not for portability, just maintaining:

Code: Select all

#define NUM_BUFFERS     2
#if (NUM_BUFFERS > 2)
static GLubyte quad_into_tris[TRIANGLES_PER_QUAD * VERTICES_PER_TRI] = {
    0, 1, 2,
    0, 3, 2,
};
#endif

no_frame_buffer:
    height = (unsigned)(ispal ? 576 : 480) >> line_shifter;
#if (NUM_BUFFERS > 2)
    indices = (GLvoid *)quad_into_tris;
#endif
    if (support_pixel_DMAs != GL_FALSE)
    {
        glUnmapBuffer(GL_PIXEL_UNPACK_BUFFER);
        PreScale = NULL;
#if (NUM_BUFFERS > 2)
        indices = NULL;
#endif
    }

#if (NUM_BUFFERS > 2)
    glDrawElements(GL_TRIANGLES, 6, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, indices);
#else
    glDrawArrays(GL_TRIANGLE_STRIP, 0, 4);
#endif
Basically what this means, is that by changing #define NUM_BUFFERS from 2 to 3, we can experiment with index buffer objects (IBOs) in OpenGL and caching them in VRAM for other potential gains. I ran this experiment to cache this third buffer object on server-side, but it seems slower if anything on my own NVIDIA implementation, so I disabled it by changing it back from 3 to 2. Therefore, based on the ability to experiment with this macro design, we have 3 OpenGL buffer objects: pixel buffer, vertex buffer, and, optionally, index buffer.

Plenty of other reasons for me to use #ifdef in the source to test other things as well, including but not limited to display lists (which are deprecated), interleaving of buffer object arrays into a single array, and vertex size in coordinates (only needs 2 coordinates (x, y) minimum, but maybe could run faster if it were 4 single-precision GLfloat's).
MarathonMan wrote:
Iconoclast wrote:Well I think what he's not telling you, is that CEN64 RDP already is angrylion RDP.
Based on the fact that the branch is named angrylion-rdp, and the number of times I mentioned it on these forums already, I assume that's common knowledge.

Also, source: https://github.com/tj90241/cen64/blob/a ... ideo.c#L69
To assume things is merited up to the point at which counter-evidence is open.

As one example, we have 3 people in here asking you to fork angrylion's RDP instead of doing your own "from scratch".

Another example. I've constantly made efforts (such as naming my threads) to emphasize that the original plugin is not mine, but angrylion's, yet as far as most users are concerned, "angrylion" is just another one of my aliases for all they seem to care. Just because I've made attempts at making common knowledge out of something, seems to not necessarily make it common knowledge.

MarathonMan
Site Admin

Post by MarathonMan » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:14 am

Iconoclast wrote:To assume things is merited up to the point at which counter-evidence is open.

Another example. I've...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWdd6_ZxX8c

Some of these same people, i.e. i wasaperson, have already made comments in the past that suggest they know the difference:
http://forums.cen64.com/viewtopic.php?f ... lion#p1561

Iconoclast

Post by Iconoclast » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:19 am

Oh, my bad. You edited. :)
MarathonMan wrote:Some of these same people, i.e. i wasaperson, have already made comments in the past that suggest they know the difference:
http://forums.cen64.com/viewtopic.php?f ... lion#p1561
Well wouldn't that mean what I said was true?

If he knows angrylion's plugin is DirectDraw code and your code isn't, that would only further substantiate my reference that he doesn't necessarily know you forked his code.

MarathonMan
Site Admin

Post by MarathonMan » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:28 am

Iconoclast wrote:Well wouldn't that mean what I said was true?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMuFYnvSsZg&t=10

EDIT: I'm not here to argue, so whatever you want to go with is fine by me.

Iconoclast

Post by Iconoclast » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:42 am

No mal-intent. :) Simply making sure OldGnashburg knew you weren't doing a RDP from scratch.

Just figured I could hope this forum isn't EFnet style where people are presumed ill-will before the fact.
OldGnashburg wrote:
MarathonMan wrote:
Oh, well scratch that off the magical list of good ideas. I basically have no concept of what code is so at least I have an excuse. I guess a CA and PA RDP from scratch is the way to go.
Of course, it would have been one thing if you gave up repeatedly telling people over and over that it's not your RDP code. I've felt that way starting recently myself; I can empathize with that problem if that is what you have felt. It's just a tad slight bit different though in the context of the quote above, in which you referred to "that plugin" in an external context. But oh well. I've made my point to OldGnashburg; that's all I really meant to do.
Last edited by Iconoclast on Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MarathonMan
Site Admin

Post by MarathonMan » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:58 am

Iconoclast wrote:Simply making sure OldGnashburg knew you weren't doing a cycle-accurate RDP from scratch.
I do plan to eventually, just not anytime in the distant future [http://forums.cen64.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=49]. As you can probably sympathize with me -- not much sense in trying to write a CA RDP when the rest of the car has a bunch of holes in it.

LuigiBlood

Post by LuigiBlood » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:49 pm

Snowstorm64 wrote:Aside from the disk drive issues, I can't get the RTC to work and I can't figure why...
What are you trying to do? 64DD RTC only works on 64DD IPL.

Fast EDIT: Oh, there's an issue when there's no disk. Heh. RTC still works though.

OldGnashburg

Post by OldGnashburg » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:36 pm

@ Iconoclast
I was well aware of the fact that MarathonMan forked and ported Angrylion's RDP for a quick fix for graphics in CEN64. I've seen him mention it many times and looked at the GitHub Repository and seen the name of the RDP branch which has angrylion included in its very name. What I meant (and you guys misunderstood) was that MarathonMan should replace the older (possibly outdated) Angrylion RDP fork that MarathonMan is using with Iconoclast's/HatCat's fork which is more up to date and seems to be more ideal to work with and it is designed to be portable. I was well aware of who made what "plugin", however, I thought that the changes made to Angrylion's RDP in HatCat's fork were only made by HatCat, I didn't know there were others involved. Sorry for the confusion.
Gnash, Gnash, Gnash...

Iconoclast

Post by Iconoclast » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:42 pm

Ah, so that was it then.
By "fork it, port it," you meant angrylion RDP ala HatCat, not angrylion RDP itself.

Normally that sort of suggestion really means, merge HatCat's changes, not fork HatCat's fork of what cen64 is forking, haha.

Often we all use the process of elimination to draw conclusions (eliminate all the least likely combinations). Probably I could have "eliminated" the possibility of you never having learned that CEN64 RDP is a fork of angrylion's by reading these forums for the past 100 or so updated threads I have not looked at since the last time I was linked to read something on this forum...but I figured it would be easier just to tell you outright and make sure you knew. :P So yeah, it's fine. I had no idea if you were a regular here on this forum or what; it's the first time since like mid-2014 that I've read any posts here.
I was well aware of who made what "plugin", however, I thought that the changes made to Angrylion's RDP in HatCat's fork were only made by HatCat, I didn't know there were others involved. Sorry for the confusion.
AIO did the GUI, and angrylion has been helping me with questions about the RDP and VI hardware bits. Although the OpenGL code is all by me. I assumed you weren't asking MarathonMan to fork my OpenGL fork because, when you consider the fact that CEN64 already builds outside of Windows, you probably know that it isn't angrylion's old DirectDraw code. It's probably OpenGL that's being used in the CEN64 fork of it as well, according to some posts of krom's that I remember reading here a while back.

I truthfully have no idea how similar or different my fork is from cen's. It isn't that I have no interest in what other angrylion forks have been doing, so much as it is that I'm lazy and don't feel like I've worked out enough of my own options for the time being to resort to the priority of learning from others' changes to it.

beannaich

Post by beannaich » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:49 pm

OldGnashburg wrote:Beannich is still unaccounted for, is he working on the site still?
I'm in the middle of looking for a new apartment, plus the usual workload increase, etc.

MarathonMan
Site Admin

Post by MarathonMan » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:58 pm

Iconoclast wrote:I truthfully have no idea how similar or different my fork is from cen's. It isn't that I have no interest in what other angrylion forks have been doing, so much as it is that I'm lazy and don't feel like I've worked out enough of my own options for the time being to resort to the priority of learning from others' changes to it.
That shouldn't be hard to determine. I'm not sure what you've done, but I:

1) Forked angrylion's repository, r83
2) Stripped all and any VI filter code
3) Replaced rastering stuff with OpenGL
3.5) Changed some byte-ordering stuff to account for differences between Zilmar-spec and CEN64.

No performance optimizations or anything whatsoever; literally minimal changes.

Iconoclast

Post by Iconoclast » Sat May 02, 2015 8:39 pm

MarathonMan wrote:No performance optimizations or anything whatsoever; literally minimal changes.
ok.
Well that's all fine. Wasn't exactly asking, just telling.

In fact, I like to relax. Being lazy is more fun than working on the same type of project usually. In the meantime kind of nice to see some people working on HLE at the same time to buy some extra backup to the progress on the LLE options being made; different projects on flip sides of the coin seems to yield better teamwork of the options kinda. Kind of takes a bit off of that scene arrogance. :P