The next wave of Intel Core CPU's.

Discuss any unrelated topics here.
OldGnashburg
Location: Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada: A place with free universal healthcare, and lots and lots of oil.

The next wave of Intel Core CPU's.

Post by OldGnashburg » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:09 pm

Hey all, I read something about Intel releasing another wave of 5th Gen Intel Core CPU's (such as a 5th Gen Intel i7 Extreme Mobile Processor and whatnot) sometime in the fall. Which also happen's to be around the time the next wave of NVIDIA GeForce GPU's (the NVIDIA GeForce 11XX Series - from what I am have heard) and when Windows 10 comes out. I have postponed getting myself a extreme top-of-the-line gaming laptop (I would rather get a laptop than a desktop) until they are released. Anyways, considering the fact that the 4th-Gen Haswell CPU's were so efficient in emulation, does anybody know anything about the upcoming wave of CPU's that will give some insight it's performance? Also it has been quiet here lately, so I thought I would stir things up by asking if there has been any progress in development. Has MarathonMan taken a break? That's fine with me, he deserves one, just wondering if there has been anything exciting going on.
Gnash, Gnash, Gnash...

Nintendo Maniac 64

Re: The next wave of Intel Core CPU's.

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:31 pm

Just to set the record straight on some of the relevant upcoming hardware releases...

CPU & APU
  • Skylake, Intel's next architectural revision after Haswell (like Haswell was to Sandy Bridge) is launching in late-ish summer; current rumors show it to have stronger multi-threaded performance but not much improvement (if at all) in terms of single-threaded performance (though obviously whether that applies to emulation is a different story - see: Haswell).
  • Carrizo, an AMD APU with Excavator cores, will also launch for mobile sometime around Summer-ish with considerable improvements in power-consumption and be the first APU with full HSA compliance; desktop release is rumored for early 2016.
  • Sometime in 2016, currently rumored for Q3, AMD will launch their Zen architecture, which is a new design not based on the Bulldozer CPU architecture that AMD has been using for the last 3-4 years; one model will apparently be a 200w-300w TDP APU with HSA intended for high-performance compute. UPDATE: Rumored to support SMT and has up to 16 physical x86 cores, also supports HBM on-chip
GPU
  • The Radeon 300 series is going to be launching anywhere between today and summer, though rumored to be early June to coincide with Computex. This will have the the first GPU with stacked HBM memory.
  • Sometime in 2016, Nvidia will launch their next-generation GPU architecture "Pascal", which will use stacked HBM memory that is of a higher-bandwidth than what the AMD 300 series uses.
  • Sometime between 2016 Q1 and 2017 Q4, AMD too will supposedly move to said higher-bandwidth version of stacked HBM memory.
Desktop only
  • The Geforce 980 Ti, a cut-down Titan X, is supposedly going to also be launching in late-ish summer.
  • Broadwell should finally land on the desktop in late summer, but possibly with only 2 SKUs and, even though it was previously stated to have an unlocked SKU, this may not longer be the case. UPDATE: It is confirmed that it is only 2 SKUs, an i5 and an i7, but both are unlocked and include Iris Pro with the according eDRAM as last-level cache.
  • Sometime in Q3-ish 2015 we should see a refresh of the desktop Kaveri APU primarily with faster iGPU clocks in a fashion similar to Richland.
  • Broadwell-E, a die-shrink of Haswell-E, will supposedly launch 2016 Q1.

Stupid rumors that just won't stinkin' die
  • AMD is being bought Apple, Samsung, or "large Chinese company #308."
Last edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 on Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:19 pm, edited 6 times in total.
CEN64 Forum's resident straight-male kuutsundere
(just "tsundere" makes people think of "Shana clones" *shivers*)

CPU+iGPU: Pentium G3258 @ 4.6GHz/1.281v
dGPU: Radeon HD5870 1GB
RAM: Vengeance 1600 4x4GB

MarathonMan
Site Admin

Post by MarathonMan » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:01 am

Intel hasn't released any details of the Skylake pipeline, so it's not possible to determine how it will behave yet.

beannaich

Post by beannaich » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:38 pm

I wouldn't put too much stock into AMD and what they're doing since they're being bought out soon.

Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:08 pm

beannaich wrote:I wouldn't put too much stock into AMD and what they're doing since they're being bought out soon.
So you're the one that keeps perpetuating that silly rumor, huh? ;)

The Extremist

Post by The Extremist » Wed May 06, 2015 6:48 pm

Here's the latest details on AMD's Zen architecture:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1041877

Can anything be said about its possibilities with CEN yet?

Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Wed May 06, 2015 9:09 pm

I can do one better - here's all of the slides from today's presentation:

Set 1
Set 2
Set 3
Set 4
Set 5
Set 6
Set 7
Set 8
Set 9
Set 10
Set 11

MarathonMan
Site Admin

Post by MarathonMan » Thu May 07, 2015 8:33 pm

The Extremist wrote:Can anything be said about its possibilities with CEN yet?
No: way too much marking nonsense. One of the slides boasts a 40% IPC increase over excavator, which is probably only best-case or something.

Unless excavator's IPC is so bad that it's actually a 40% improvement?

Either way, the Intel Core series will still likely trounce anything AMD puts out given what I've seen so far, and given the state of affairs for the last 5 years.

Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Thu May 07, 2015 10:11 pm

MarathonMan wrote:Unless excavator's IPC is so bad that it's actually a 40% improvement?
Well supposedly Excavator's IPC is 5% better than Steamroller, and Steamroller at its very best only has an IPC around Nehalem...
MarathonMan wrote:Either way, the Intel Core series will still likely trounce anything AMD puts out given what I've seen so far, and given the state of affairs for the last 5 years.
To play devil's advocate, the last 5 years gave us probably one of if not the worst CPU architecture AMD ever had. I mean, at least initially, they would have been better off shrinking Thuban to 32nm and throwing in 2 more cores. Honestly, it'll be difficult to make a bigger turd than "Faildozer" - it really was AMD's Netburst.

Now consider that AMD once again has the likes of Jim Keller leading Zen development, the guy that gave us K7 and K8 (he didn't do K10, but it's a direct evolution from K8) and that he also lead the development of Apple's ARM CPUs (which are known to be some of if not the fastest mobile ARM CPUs), and you almost have a guarantee that Zen will at the very least be considerably better than what AMD has been crapping out on the high-end CPU side over the last 5 years.

Now this doesn't mean it'll be faster per-core than the likes of Haswell, but after the insane Bulldozer hypefest leading up to its launch I don't think anyone is going to buy into such predictions like that ever again.

Besides, SMT is confirmed for Zen and you stated that Cen64 works better with SMT than it does with multiple cores.