CEN64 Front-end for Windows v1.7

Discuss and announce frontends here.
Breadwinka

Re: CEN64 Front-end for Windows v1.6

Post by Breadwinka » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:20 am

It shouldn't matter since 1.5 was built with Windows 8.1 as well. Only two things were added into the new patch .n64 files because beannaich added a byteswap and I put in the saving of the location for the windows. im going to recompile it here for you with a quick change I did on where it draws to the screen.

Breadwinka

Post by Breadwinka » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:25 am

here try this one i commented out a line where I think it could be giving you an error. if not we will have to check some other things. I also tested it running on my windows 2008 r2 server which runs similar to windows 7. what does your user.config look like as well? I have a feeling it has something to do with the config file if its wrong in anyway it fails to load the app.
Attachments
CEN64 Front-end.rar
(53.29 KiB) Downloaded 199 times

ShadowFX

Post by ShadowFX » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:31 am

No go, unfortunately.
Now that you mention user.config, is that file still being generated automatically within the working directory if not present?
"Change is inevitable; progress is optional"

Specs: Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2GHz, 16GB DDR4-RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
Main build: AVX (official)

Breadwinka

Post by Breadwinka » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:41 am

It will load defaults if its not present, if there is one there it will load that. But if its not formatted correctly it will crash, so if you have one there delete it.

Breadwinka

Post by Breadwinka » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:47 am

here if thats the case this should fix all the problems now :D just caught the exception and made it load defaults if there is an error loading the config file.
Attachments
CEN64 Front-end.rar
(50.82 KiB) Downloaded 184 times

ShadowFX

Post by ShadowFX » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:58 am

Still no go ;)

Code: Select all

Application: CEN64 Front-end.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.TypeLoadException
Stack:
   at System.ModuleHandle.ResolveMethod(System.Reflection.RuntimeModule, Int32, IntPtr*, Int32, IntPtr*, Int32)
   at System.ModuleHandle.ResolveMethodHandleInternalCore(System.Reflection.RuntimeModule, Int32, IntPtr[], Int32, IntPtr[], Int32)
   at System.ModuleHandle.ResolveMethodHandleInternal(System.Reflection.RuntimeModule, Int32, System.RuntimeTypeHandle[], System.RuntimeTypeHandle[])
   at System.Reflection.CustomAttributeData..ctor(System.Reflection.RuntimeModule, System.Reflection.CustomAttributeRecord)
   at System.Reflection.CustomAttributeData.GetCustomAttributes(System.Reflection.RuntimeModule, Int32)
   at System.Reflection.CustomAttributeData.GetCustomAttributesInternal(System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly)
   at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.GetCustomAttributesData()
   at System.Reflection.CustomAttributeData.GetCustomAttributes(System.Reflection.Assembly)
   at System.Resources.ManifestBasedResourceGroveler.GetNeutralResourcesLanguage(System.Reflection.Assembly, System.Resources.UltimateResourceFallbackLocation ByRef)
   at System.Resources.ResourceManager.CommonSatelliteAssemblyInit()
   at System.Resources.ResourceManager..ctor(System.Type)
   at System.ComponentModel.ComponentResourceManager..ctor(System.Type)
   at CEN64_Frontend.FormMain.InitializeComponent()
   at CEN64_Frontend.FormMain..ctor()
   at CEN64_Frontend.Program.Main()
Can you send me your 'user.config' file?

Breadwinka

Post by Breadwinka » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:59 am

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<UserSettings xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
  <InputType>Keyboard</InputType>
  <CEN64Path />
  <PIFPath />
  <ROMPath />
  <ColumnNameWidth>180</ColumnNameWidth>
  <ColumnSizeWidth>100</ColumnSizeWidth>
  <ColumnCompatibilityWidth>300</ColumnCompatibilityWidth>
  <FormWidth>640</FormWidth>
  <FormHeight>480</FormHeight>
  <LocationX>0</LocationX>
  <LocationY>0</LocationY>
</UserSettings>

ShadowFX

Post by ShadowFX » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:02 am

It turns out even with a valid 'user.config' file present, it still crashes with the last error log I posted.

Breadwinka

Post by Breadwinka » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:06 am

Ill have to look into this more at a later date I need sleep :P try deleting the files and see what happens there. very weird that its throwing an exception.

Breadwinka

Post by Breadwinka » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:30 am

I think I figured it out apparently the target framework for switched to 4.5 try downloading .net 4.5 if you Dont want to or already have it let me know. I'll do a rebuild tomorrow in about 6-8 hrs

ShadowFX

Post by ShadowFX » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:23 am

Breadwinka wrote:I think I figured it out apparently the target framework for switched to 4.5 try downloading .net 4.5 if you Dont want to or already have it let me know. I'll do a rebuild tomorrow in about 6-8 hrs
Installed 4.5 and it now works properly :)
Maybe it's a good idea to let the users know .Net Framework 4.5 is a minimal requirement for running this front-end.

Now that I can take a better look, good job on these first steps for creating a hopefully solid front-end for Windows users!

beannaich

Re: Cen64 GUI Windows

Post by beannaich » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:06 pm

ShadowFX wrote:A statusbar is a convenient way to display useful information of the emulation status, instead of overlaying this on the video (if that is possible at all for CEN64). May I ask what is hindering you to implement this?
With other emulators, the GUI has direct access to internal variables, I'd have to make a memory reader and update it with each new version of CEN64 just to get that working. If MarathonMan ever allows GUIs to be coded that directly reference his code (Or if he externs some helpful functions that I could P/Invoke), things like that would be much easier.
ShadowFX wrote:Image Image
Optional means you could enable or disable the row of buttons. I understand this seems trivial at this point in time, but hey, it is a suggestion ;)
Ah, okay. That was next on my to do list. :)

gamax92

Re: CEN64 Front-end for Windows v1.61

Post by gamax92 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:16 pm

I don't know what the Front-end is capable of since I don't have a computer with a 64bit os (with me)
I've also never used .NET so please take this as just a suggestion.

If you wanted to make a pause button, wouldn't it be possible to use a DllCall to

ntdll\NtSuspendProcess
ntdll\NtResumeProcess

Both functions take a int where you pass a handle to the process, where this would be CEN64.

Also, from what I remember about OpenGL windows, it is not too troublesome to do things like fullscreen/custom window sizes. Not sure what the appropriate DllCall would be but you can set a style on CEN64's window that removes the title bar, where then you would move and resize the window to be the entire screen/snap in the front-end.

Again, I've never used .NET so I don't know its capability, but you should be able to do this.

EDIT: Sorry, for those ntdll function you would open a handle to the process with privilges that allow you to resume and suspend it, do that, and then close the handle.

MarathonMan
Site Admin

Post by MarathonMan » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:37 pm

beannaich wrote:With other emulators, the GUI has direct access to internal variables.
This is a designer's worst nightmare.
beannaich wrote:If MarathonMan ever allows GUIs to be coded that directly reference his code (Or if he externs some helpful functions that I could P/Invoke), things like that would be much easier.
I'd be highly in favor of communicating between a frontend via a socket. CEN64 can just bind to a socket and listen for commands from the frontend. It'd have a well-defined interface and would be clean as well as portable.

Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:21 pm

MarathonMan wrote:I'd be highly in favor of communicating between a frontend via a socket. CEN64 can just bind to a socket and listen for commands from the frontend. It'd have a well-defined interface and would be clean as well as portable.
Just to clarify, by 'portable' I'm assuming you mean "software portability" rather than "application portability". This is an important distinction to make since just a few pages back we were talking about the location of saving the config file for enabling portable-ness.
Last edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 on Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CEN64 Forum's resident straight-male kuutsundere
(just "tsundere" makes people think of "Shana clones" *shivers*)

CPU+iGPU: Pentium G3258 @ 4.6GHz/1.281v
dGPU: Radeon HD5870 1GB
RAM: Vengeance 1600 4x4GB

beannaich

Post by beannaich » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:26 pm

MarathonMan wrote:I'd be highly in favor of communicating between a frontend via a socket. CEN64 can just bind to a socket and listen for commands from the frontend. It'd have a well-defined interface and would be clean as well as portable.
I have never heard of sockets being used this way. Though if you want to go this route, I am very highly experienced with them! If you'd like any help shaping an interface I'd like to be a part of that process.
Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote:Just to clarify, by 'portable' I'm assuming you mean "software portability" rather than "application portability".
We're talking about software, from context alone you can deduce that he means software portability. You know you aren't required to chime in every 3rd post, right?
Last edited by beannaich on Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:28 pm

beannaich wrote:We're talking about software, from context alone you can deduce that he means software portability.
Is it so wrong to ask for confirmation and clarification?
beannaich wrote:You know you aren't required to chime in every 3rd post, right?
Normally I restrain my replies by setting the email notification to daily or weekly digests. However, this forum does not allow setting email notification of replies to anything other than instant; it's pretty much all or nothing.
Last edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 on Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MarathonMan
Site Admin

Post by MarathonMan » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:29 pm

Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote:Just to clarify, by 'portable' I'm assuming you mean " ...
I mean portable in the same way that Wikipedia defines it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portability
Portability may refer to:

Porting, the ability of a computer program to be ported from one system to another in computer science

In software engineering, porting is the process of adapting software so that an executable program can be created for a computing environment that is different from the one for which it was originally designed (e.g. different CPU, operating system, or third party library).

Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:35 pm

MarathonMan wrote:I mean portable in the same way that Wikipedia defines it:
I already linked to the according wikipedia articles in my post:
Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote:"software portability" rather than "application portability".
Note on the "software portability" article it specifically says "Not to be confused with Application portability."

beannaich

Post by beannaich » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:44 pm

Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote:
MarathonMan wrote:I mean portable in the same way that Wikipedia defines it:
I already linked to the according wikipedia articles in my post:
Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote:"software portability" rather than "application portability".
Note on the "software portability" article it specifically says "Not to be confused with Application portability."
How does Wikipedia define nitpicking?

MarathonMan
Site Admin

Post by MarathonMan » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:46 pm

Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote:Note on the "software portability" article it specifically says "Not to be confused with Application portability."
Please note that the article on "software portability" also specifically says: "It has been suggested that Porting be merged into this article."

and

"This article is about portability in itself. For the work required to make software portable, see Porting",

suggesting that: "application portability" is a secondary usage of the word with lesser importance.

gamax92

Post by gamax92 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:35 pm

I saw the mention that if you wanted to have the output of cen64 into the front end you would have to hook the opengl calls and then put the output in the frontend?
Well, while this is the correct method, it is not the only method. You could remove the titlebar and resizable styles from the cen64 window and then set the cen64 window as the child of the frontend.
This would make the output of the emulator go inside the frontend window and with the previous styles removed, look like the output is coming from the frontend.

I did a quick test to see how this would work and ...

Also, I tested that Suspend and Resume idea, it is possible to pause and unpause the emulator using it.
It would be cool to see this implemented in this front end.

ShadowFX

Post by ShadowFX » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:46 am

This would make the front-end even more solid than it already is. Nice going, I'm sure Breadwinka/beannaich are able to implement this feature, or make it optional while they're at it :)

ShadowFX

Post by ShadowFX » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:37 am

I would like to make another request. Is it possible to 'type' your way to a specific ROM name? Like if I start typing 'Legend of Z' it would jump straight to any available 'Legend of Zelda, The' ROM in the list?
Last edited by ShadowFX on Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beannaich

Post by beannaich » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:54 pm

ShadowFX wrote:I would like to make another request. Is is possible to 'type' your way to a specific ROM name? Like if I start typing 'Legend of Z' it would jump straight to any available 'Legend of Zelda, The' ROM in the list?
I just did some testing with this. It seems that ListViews only allow keyboard selection in "Non-virtual" mode, which is fine, but could cause UI unresponsiveness with large romsets. In virtual mode, only the items you see on the list are cached:

private void listViewROM_RetrieveVirtualItem(object sender, RetrieveVirtualItemEventArgs e)
{
    var file = files[e.ItemIndex];

e.Item = new ListViewItem(file.Name);
    e.Item.SubItems.Add(Helper.GetFileSize(file.Length));
    e.Item.SubItems.Add("Unknown"); // todo: look the game up in a compatibility database
}
Whereas with non-virtual mode all items must be cached when the files are cached:

this.listViewROM.BeginUpdate();

foreach (var file in this.files)
{
    var item = new ListViewItem(file.Name);
    item.SubItems.Add(Helper.GetFileSize(file.Length));
    item.SubItems.Add("Unknown");

this.listViewROM.Items.Add(item);
}

this.listViewROM.EndUpdate();
This sort of makes sense, when you press a key the list wouldn't know what you're talking about in virtual mode since only 10-15 items are cached.

tl;dr: Do you want the keypress navigation, or speed and lower memory usage?

Breadwinka

Post by Breadwinka » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:50 pm

And updated

ShadowFX

Post by ShadowFX » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:44 am

Fantastic!
It works very fast and accurate.

Also, the icons are simple, effective and pleasing to the eye. Maybe it's an idea to make it more themed to CEN64 and or the N64 in general. I'll see what I can do to create suitable graphics but no promises ;) What are acceptable dimensions of all the buttons / icons?

beannaich

Post by beannaich » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:49 pm

ShadowFX wrote:Also, the icons are simple, effective and pleasing to the eye. Maybe it's an idea to make it more themed to CEN64 and or the N64 in general. I'll see what I can do to create suitable graphics but no promises ;) What are acceptable dimensions of all the buttons / icons?
I used an icon set called "silk", but for the ROM list it would be nice to have specific icons for each file type.
gamax92 wrote:Also, I tested that Suspend and Resume idea, it is possible to pause and unpause the emulator using it.
It would be cool to see this implemented in this front end.
Send the source to one of us (Breadwinka or myself) via PM, and we'll start looking at implementing it.

gamax92

Re: CEN64 Front-end for Windows v1.7

Post by gamax92 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:15 pm

Umm, the test I did was in AutoHotkey and not in .NET (since I was being lazy). The best I could do is give you the function code that I used, if thats okay.

Perhapse something link this could be used. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7125 ... in-c-sharp

beannaich

Post by beannaich » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:20 pm

gamax92 wrote:Umm, the test I did was in AutoHotkey and not in .NET (since I was being lazy). The best I could do is give you the function code that I used, if thats okay.

Perhapse something link this could be used. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7125 ... in-c-sharp
I have no idea how to do the style stuff for openGL to get the video output into a window.

ShadowFX

Post by ShadowFX » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:37 am

I just know I spent too much time on this one, but I proudly present... a themed CEN64!

Do you guys think it suits?

Myth

Post by Myth » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:15 am

It's perfect ShadowFX.

gamax92

Post by gamax92 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:37 am

Wow, that looks really good! I like it.

beannaich

Post by beannaich » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:42 pm

ShadowFX wrote:Do you guys think it suits?
The control buttons (Pause, Play, Stop) are brightly colored and match the colors found on the N64 controller. Some of the other buttons I don't like as much, but they work.

I'm also as of this post stepping down from this project. I recently got a new job that will require me to travel a lot, and I'd like to focus on my emulator project with the little free time I'll now have. Glad I got to contribute to the future of N64 emulation, if even in a small way. Shadow, I recommend you send the source for that UI along to Breadwinka so he can update the binaries on page 1.

Iconoclast

Post by Iconoclast » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:21 pm

Reminds me of Nemu64. :D

What with the gfx/audio/controller toolbar icons, the cartridge icon next to each ROM browser entry, the "Compatibility" list instead of "Comments" like in 1964....

Suits me just fine! I don't have a very good designer's opinion on things these days anymore.

ShadowFX

Post by ShadowFX » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:13 pm

Thanks for all the feedback!
beannaich wrote:Some of the other buttons I don't like as much, but they work.
Do you have any recommendations?
beannaich wrote:Shadow, I recommend you send the source for that UI along to Breadwinka so he can update the binaries on page 1.
I have no source as this is merely a mock-up screen and not a real application. I do have the icon images in PNG-format ready to be used if needed.

beannaich

Post by beannaich » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:16 pm

ShadowFX wrote:Do you have any recommendations?
I am not a fan of the Video/Audio/Input buttons, but I don't have any alternatives in mind.
ShadowFX wrote:I have no source as this is merely a mock-up screen and not a real application. I do have the icon images in PNG-format ready to be used if needed.
The icons should work just fine :P He'll just have to add the placeholder buttons and icon them.

Breadwinka

Post by Breadwinka » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:20 pm

Ya send them over and I'll get them in the next update.

Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:37 pm

If we are matching the N64 button-color scheme, shouldn't the "Play" button be Blue and the "Pause" button be red? (and therefore the "Reload" button be yellow).

beannaich

Post by beannaich » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:44 pm

Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote:If we are matching the N64 button-color scheme, shouldn't the "Play" button be Blue and the "Pause" button be red? (and therefore the "Reload" button be yellow).
Literal.

ShadowFX

Post by ShadowFX » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:47 pm

I agree. Done 8-)

Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:51 pm

ShadowFX wrote:I agree. Done 8-)
Well that was fast! I was going to say that I can make the color edit myself.
beannaich wrote:Literal.
I'm still not quite exactly sure what you're trying to say here...

beannaich

Post by beannaich » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:57 pm

I think we should find a good sample of N64 controller images, and automagically scan through them, then sample the buttons and take an average to get the perfect hue for the control buttons in the UI. The current colors are of by an unnoticeable amount and it bothers me greatly.

Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:00 pm

That'd actually be pretty easy for me to do. All I'd have to do is disassemble an N64 controller (easy, it even uses phillips screws and not tri-wing), remove the according buttons, and put the buttons under a scanner. I could probably have it done in like 5 to 10 minutes.

The only issue would be that I don't have a half-decent color-grading monitor, so I wouldn't be able to color-correct the scans myself.

beannaich

Post by beannaich » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:03 pm

This should be done on no less than 27 controllers. I figured this would give a low enough margin of error to be deemed acceptable.

APE

Post by APE » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:05 pm

I would be greatly annoyed if I plugged in my Extreme Green controller and the proper color didn't appear in the UI.

Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:10 pm

beannaich wrote:This should be done on no less than 27 controllers. I figured this would give a low enough margin of error to be deemed acceptable.
I have 4 N64 controllers. If the scan results came up within the margin of error for only 4 controllers then there'd be no need to do any more.
APE wrote:I would be greatly annoyed if I plugged in my Extreme Green controller and the proper color didn't appear in the UI.
If you wanted to perfectly match your own controller then you should provide your own imagery and/or color hues in the same way that one would compile CEN64 to perfectly match your PC's CPU & OS setup.

beannaich

Post by beannaich » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:13 pm

APE wrote:I would be greatly annoyed if I plugged in my Extreme Green controller and the proper color didn't appear in the UI.
I believe there are around 24+ color variations. Given my previous post we will require about 648 images (24 variations, 27 samples each). It looks like Nintendo Maniac can provide 4 of those.

APE

Post by APE » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:15 pm

beannaich wrote:
I believe there are around 24+ color variations. Given my previous post we will require about 648 images (24 variations, 27 samples each). It looks like Nintendo Maniac can provide 4 of those.
I've got maybe 5 or 6 including Extreme Green, should be able to provide at least 1 same from each unless I have duplicates.

Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:17 pm

beannaich wrote:I believe there are around 24+ color variations. Given my previous post we will require about 648 images (24 variations, 27 samples each). It looks like Nintendo Maniac can provide 4 of those.
But by your logic the images would only match my controllers. Again, the user would provide their own imagery and/or hue values in the same way that the user would compile Cen64 to fit their PC setup.
Last edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 on Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.