n64toolchain w/Official SDK

Discuss miscellaneous N64-related matter here.
fraser125

n64toolchain w/Official SDK

Post by fraser125 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:56 pm

I apologize in advance, just let me know if this topic is too legally "sensitive".

I'm working on the Controller analysis and wanted to write some simple programs with the official SDK to ease the reverse engineering process.
I've spent most of my life using an IDE on Windows and transitioning to MAKE and Command line compilers is WAY more work than I was expecting. I have compiled an N64 program (using OSDK) but had to do it in a virtualized Win2K and because of network issues I couldn't transfer the result and no modern emulator runs on Win2K. It took me weeks to get that far. (Testing on Win8 & Vista first.)

I'm willing to put in the work but I want to have a sense of if my idea can even be accomplished.
  • Use DevKitPro for it's IDE, folder stucture and conventions. (I've used it successfully to create "Hello World" plus more for both Gamecube and GBA.)
  • Combine with the n64toolchain available on CEN64.
  • Combine with the Official SDK library.
I understand the default ABI (Application Binary Interface) is different from the OSDK but from the gcc docs it seems like different parameters can be passed to set the ABI to match the OSDK.
Anything else I need to know?
Thanks!