Worried abou Byuu.

Discuss miscellaneous N64-related matter here.
OldGnashburg
Location: Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada: A place with free universal healthcare, and lots and lots of oil.

Worried abou Byuu.

Post by OldGnashburg » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:05 pm

Hey everybody, I didn't know where to post this but if anybody is reading byuu's (the creator of bsnes/higan) blog, his latest article is worrying. I'm not sure if anybody cares (for his sake I hope someone does), but he is going through a midlife crisis, and seems to be severely depressed or at least stressed out to a near breaking point. He is an invaluable member of the emulation community and somebody should help him out. If you want to read his latest post it's at byuu.org. When you see it, you'll know something has to be done.
Gnash, Gnash, Gnash...

MarathonMan
Site Admin

Re: Worried abou Byuu.

Post by MarathonMan » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:05 pm

Thanks for sharing that tidbit of information. It's always incredibly unfortunate when a member of the community has to relinquish a project of that scale, especially one focused on cycle-accuracy. :(

OldGnashburg
Location: Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada: A place with free universal healthcare, and lots and lots of oil.

Post by OldGnashburg » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:44 pm

Yeah, it's a shame. But alas, it is open source! Which leads me to a question for you, MarathonMan. Since you are focused on cycle-accuracy, would you ever consider making a fork of Higan, adding the CEN64 core to it, and making the GB/GBC/GBA/NES cores cycle, pitch, and pixel accurate (like byuu did with his SNES core, and like you're doing with CEN64)? I hear the GBC core is already cycle-based. Maybe you two hotshot programmers could collaborate. It might help him get out of his funk, collaborating with a next generation emulator developer who is serious about cycle accuracy.
Gnash, Gnash, Gnash...

teres

Post by teres » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:22 am

byuu collaborating? Unlikely. Knowledge transfer might work, but that guy has such a bad case of NIH, he'd rewrite every line of code a second person contributed. That's a big part of what got him into his current situation, too, I believe. Anyways, I hope he manages to find a healthy balance for his life. A sabbatical to think things through is definitely a good first step.

Narann

Post by Narann » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:27 pm

Sad, but no code has more value than a human health so I think it a good things to leave some distance between you and the code sometime.