Got a mislabelled cart, is it possible to put in actual ROM?

Discuss miscellaneous N64-related matter here.
OldGnashburg
Location: Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada: A place with free universal healthcare, and lots and lots of oil.

Got a mislabelled cart, is it possible to put in actual ROM?

Post by OldGnashburg » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:08 pm

Hey, last year I bought The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time cartridge after wearing the connectors on my old one (via the Crooked Cartrige Glitch). After losing it, I started screwing around with Project 64 (which even Sheldon Cooper says sucks). And I noticed that there were multiple version ROM's. I then figured out that my beloved Cartridge was a v.1.1 Cart. I researched the differences, and vowed to never buy the final version of OOT. So I looked up how to tell which cart is which (NUS-CZGE-USA = NTSC 1.0, NUS-CZLE-USA = NTSC 1.1, NUS-CZLE-USA-1 = NTSC 1.2) So I went to a store that sold N64 games and bought the cartridge that had NUS-CZLE-USA on it, which meant I had a v.1.1 cart. But when I played all the way through I then saw that the cart was v.1.2 (gannon coughs up green blood, awful fire temple background music) and stopped playing it. So it turns out I have a v.1.2 cart mislabelled as a v.1.1 Cart. I want to know if there is a chance I could fix it by swapping ROM's with a development machine or cartridge copier or whatnot, or if I should just sell it and buy a new one, even though I am not sure if I could actually find a v.1.1 given the fact that the one I bought was mislabelled (via the factory, not by anybody else). What I would really want is a v.1.0 Gold Cart, but I would just stick with a v.1.1 Cart. But actually, would anybody (on these forums) actually want to buy a mislabelled cart or at least swap mine with a 1.0 or 1.1 Cart?
Gnash, Gnash, Gnash...

jaytheham

Re: Got a mislabelled cart, is it possible to put in actual

Post by jaytheham » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:54 pm

There is no way to reflash (swap the ROM) a retail cartridge, you'll have to buy another one, or get something like the 64drive.

dsx

Post by dsx » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:34 pm

NUS-CZLE-USA-1 is the player's choice cart, 1.2 can also come in a regular NUS-CZLE-USA cart. A better way to determine your version is to look at the engraved code on the back of the cart. xxA = 1.1 xxB = 1.2

MarathonMan
Site Admin

Post by MarathonMan » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:45 pm

I'd double check to make sure the CICs are the same (99% certain they are...). You could probably just swap the physical ROM chips if you just destroyed the edge connectors on the v1.1 cart. Maybe someone with more knowledge in this area would advise against it, but from a bird's eye view I see nothing wrong with it.

Iconoclast

Post by Iconoclast » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:47 pm

You can also check *(ROMHEADER + 0x3F). 64th byte into the ROM image should be 0x00 for a "v1.0" label, 0x01 for "v1.1", and etc.

Jbop

Post by Jbop » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:04 pm

dsx wrote:NUS-CZLE-USA-1 is the player's choice cart, 1.2 can also come in a regular NUS-CZLE-USA cart. A better way to determine your version is to look at the engraved code on the back of the cart. xxA = 1.1 xxB = 1.2
This

Next time try to ask the seller if they can check that stamp/engraving for you.