Net_Bastard

Re: Signal tapping...

Post by Net_Bastard » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:00 am

I like where this is going...

iwasaperson

Post by iwasaperson » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:03 pm

Something something hype.
Last edited by iwasaperson on Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jaytheham

Post by jaytheham » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:04 pm

Nice soldering job, better than I ever managed on those pins :|

Narann

Post by Narann » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:11 pm

I've always been impressed by this hack stuff, because I don't get the point of what is supposed to be achieved with this. :D

flavenstein

Post by flavenstein » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:39 pm

Basically the idea is to figure out exactly what each part of the N64 does and write a computer program that does the exact same thing (a simulation). This has inherent interest to some because they want to know how things work at the most fundamental level.

This is different from an emulator which is a program that tries to replicate the end result of (in this case) the N64 regardless of the internals (i.e. shortcuts can be taken). Another way of saying it is that if the N64 takes input and has to go A -> B -> C -> D, then the simulation has to go A -> B -> C -> D, whereas an emulator can just go A -> D.

One benefit of simulation vs. emulation is this: say that a video game developer takes advantage of some well-hidden or unintended behavior of the N64. Then most likely an emulator will fail for any game relying on that unintended behavior (see also: DK64) since the emulator programmer won't know how to replicate it. So what is happening in this thread and with this project is that Marathon Man and others are discovering exactly how the internals work so that a hackily written game (DK64) won't be able to distinguish the simulation from the real deal, so it will work as intended.

REALLY BAD ANALOGY: Suppose I wanted to emulate the human digestive system. Then I would just make a machine that takes food, mashes it up, colors it brown and makes it smell like shit. Done! Emulated. But if I wanted to *simulate*, then I would have to actually cut open some bodies and learn some biology to make a machine that does exactly what a digestive system does when it digests food. This is what's happening above.

I'm sure you didn't want all that, I just wanted to type it out to see if I could make sense of it myself.

Narann

Post by Narann » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:50 am

Thanks flavenstein, your "ABCD" example was very clear! The idea is so to get a list of instructions sends to the N64 (actually RCP or RDP) when some codes are executed.

But this bring to another technical question: Where all this wires will be plugged on? How this list of sent instructions will be created? How the electric behavior is retrived from this wires and how is it "translated" to human readable behavior? What hardware will be used to get the eletrinic states? Ardunio? What software will be used to translate this eletronic state to instructions?

I have a programming background (C, C++, Python) but must admit I have no idea where this wires are plugged and what is used to get usefull informations with them.

But while all this lacks, I'm very interested by N64 emulation/simulation (I'm a humble contributor to mupen64plus so I start to read some N64 docs).

Thanks in advance! :)