90s CRT Gamma ramp option (similar to higan/bsnes)

Discuss any suggestions you may have here.
Nintendo Maniac 64

90s CRT Gamma ramp option (similar to higan/bsnes)

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:55 pm

Pretty simple, include a gamma ramp option similar to higan/bsnes.

Some games seem to have been designed with said gamma levels in mind - the night-time distance fog in BattleTanx: Global Assault in particular comes to mind. With the modern gamma levels, the night-time fog just looks very much like a "wall of fog" and makes things feel quite claustrophobic; but with 90s-era CRT gamma levels the very same night-time fog feels much less claustrophobic and seems to be farther out in the distance.

Hopefully I'll be able to make some mocked-up screenshots showing what I mean and edit them into this post..
CEN64 Forum's resident straight-male kuutsundere
(just "tsundere" makes people think of "Shana clones" *shivers*)

CPU+iGPU: Pentium G3258 @ 4.6GHz/1.281v
dGPU: Radeon HD5870 1GB
RAM: Vengeance 1600 4x4GB

ShadowFX

Re: 90s CRT Gamma ramp option (similar to higan/bsnes)

Post by ShadowFX » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:19 am

Even though extra features and or some kind of GUI are most likely long ways off, I do like the idea of a CRT filter and gamma ramp feature. It will bring N64 emulation closer to the real thing, where games were meant to be run on CRT TVs.
"Change is inevitable; progress is optional"

Specs: Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2GHz, 16GB DDR4-RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
Main build: AVX (official)

Mizox

Post by Mizox » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:47 pm

I dunno about the CRT filter... that could be problematic...

but the gamma would be nice yes...

actually you wouldn't even need to build the gamma modification into the emulator itself. it could be put in as a post process injector...

yarLson

Post by yarLson » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:42 pm

Easiest thing to do would be let the limited resources be used to focus on reaching the original goal and then once this project is stable I guarantee someone will port this into retroarch and you can have all the gamma ramps and crt shaders you'd like.

Mizox

Post by Mizox » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:32 pm

yarLson wrote:Easiest thing to do would be let the limited resources be used to focus on reaching the original goal and then once this project is stable I guarantee someone will port this into retroarch and you can have all the gamma ramps and crt shaders you'd like.
why does everyone and their uncle keep going on about retroarch?

yarLson

Post by yarLson » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:50 pm

Have you tried its KMS/EGL video driver? Thats why I go on about it, others because its the best mobile emu, or because of the awesome GPU shaders. From a development point of view it can be rather convenient since you don't have to worry about a frontend and can focus on the meat of the project knowing that there is a solid frontend built into the API itself. Also its free and the devs have the right attitude when it comes to open source.

But anyway I use it primarily because KMS/EGL offers the lowest latency of ANY emulator I have ever used. It is really quite genious, plus convenient when you get your roms organized. But hey you asked; to each his own. I am just saying if nobody else ports it; I will. Thats why I can guarantee it gets done someday lol.

Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:04 pm

yarLson wrote:I am just saying if nobody else ports it; I will.
If it makes you feel any better, I would use your port. :P

You know, I don't think the bsnes port to RetroArch is done by byuu either. Then again, I also think RetroArch is considerably newer than bsnes...

But if you ever do manage to do it, I think it'd be hilarious to run it in ZMZ - N64 games in what looks like ZSNES? lolwut.
CEN64 Forum's resident straight-male kuutsundere
(just "tsundere" makes people think of "Shana clones" *shivers*)

CPU+iGPU: Pentium G3258 @ 4.6GHz/1.281v
dGPU: Radeon HD5870 1GB
RAM: Vengeance 1600 4x4GB