Built-in Benchmark Mode

Discuss any suggestions you may have here.
Nintendo Maniac 64

Built-in Benchmark Mode

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:42 pm

The Dolphin forums are practically overflowing with people asking if their PC is fast enough or if a specific PC and/or PC component is good enough. Considering that CEN64 will most likely require similar CPU performance, it may be a wise idea to include a benchmark mode right into the program, perhaps with even an online database or something.
Last edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 on Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CEN64 Forum's resident straight-male kuutsundere
(just "tsundere" makes people think of "Shana clones" *shivers*)

CPU+iGPU: Pentium G3258 @ 4.6GHz/1.281v
dGPU: Radeon HD5870 1GB
RAM: Vengeance 1600 4x4GB

klarthailerion

Re: Built-in Benchmark Mode

Post by klarthailerion » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:08 pm

Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote:The Dolphin forums are practically overflowing with people asking if their PC is fast enough or if a specific PC and/or PC component is good enough. Considering that CEN64 will most likely require similar CPU performance, it may be a wise idea to include a benchmark mode right into the program, perhaps with even an online database or something.
MarathonMan already addressed this request on the emutalk forum. The answer was "Thanks for the suggestion but IMO this is just yet another feature that I don't have time to implement considering the state of the core and everything else."
Last edited by klarthailerion on Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:59 pm

...Er, I'm posting my already-suggested suggestions on this new forum for reference-sake. I did not intend for it to be me "asking him again" but rather cross-posting the same question on to here so that it has its own thread separate from everything else.

If there was no interest in at least building up a list of suggestions for (possibly far) future discussion and/or interest, then I don't think there would even be a "Suggestions" forum on cen64.com in the first place.

APE

Post by APE » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:21 pm

Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote:If there was no interest in at least building up a list of suggestions for (possibly far) future discussion and/or interest, then I don't think there would even be a "Suggestions" forum on cen64.com in the first place.
The problem lies in that what you're suggesting, not the fact that nobody wants suggestions.

Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:38 pm

But I already previously asked about 90s-style CRT gamma ramp on emutalk several weeks ago, and I'm not getting any criticism for posting that suggestion on cen64.com... (in fact I'm getting exactly the opposite)

I haz a confuzzled.
Last edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 on Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

klarthailerion

Post by klarthailerion » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:10 am

Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote: And to klarthailerion, I'd also greatly appreciate it if you'd edit out the part of your post that quotes and replies to said CPU review paragraph.
Done. I didn't intend for my response to be harsh, so I hope I didn't offend.

As APE pointed out, the problem is not in making suggestions. The problem is in making suggestions that are clearly out of the scope of the project and that never will be within the scope of the project.

A visual effect to simulate how N64 video output would have appeared on real hardware is something that very well could fall within the scope of simulating the N64 (whether MarathonMan ever has the time or desire to undertake such a task himself... it's a suggestion that SOMEONE may decide to take up and implement into CEN64, and that arguably still falls under the scope of an N64 simulator).

An application to benchmark performance on different televisions was not something that a release model N64 would have included, thus it is not something that would be within the scope of simulating the N64 hardware (although perhaps such a thing existed in development consoles.. I really don't know much about N64 dev other than publicly released specs).

I hope that the distinction is clear. Also, these are my opinions. I certainly don't intend to speak for anyone else.

Patashu

Post by Patashu » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:56 pm

I think the key issue is that instead of taking the time to make benchmarks, the CEN64 devs could instead make the emulator run faster (it's still in alpha and there is still so much work to do) and the benchmarks would immediately be obsolete.

When it is closer to a finished state, then it will make more sense to make benchmarks.

Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:18 pm

Just to point out, Dolphin now has a benchmark that does not require any game:
https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-n ... e-required

gamax92

Post by gamax92 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:26 am

That .elf file is still technically a game, or more accurately, a program that runs on a GameCube.

I agree with Patashu, instead of wasting time coding in benchmarks in cen64 or a benchmark rom, optimizing and completing CEN64 would prove more useful.