Direct N64 controller access for CEN64

Discuss any suggestions you may have here.
Snowstorm64

Direct N64 controller access for CEN64

Post by Snowstorm64 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:54 am

Thanks to raphnet's N64 to USB adapter and this experimental plugin for mupen64plus and project64, one could use not only the original N64 controller, but also the original controller pak and the rumble pak.
raphnet wrote:These mupen64plus and Project 64 plugins use the direct controller access feature offered by my N64 to USB adapters (versions 3 and up) to let the emulated game communicate with the controllers directly.

So, what does this do for you? Many things! Here are the key advantages:
  • No calibration required. As the game talks to the controller directly, it reads exactly the same axis values it would in a non-emulated setup. In other words, the controller works, responds and feels exactly as it would in real life.
  • Low latency. When the game must read the controller, the request is forwarded directly to the controller by the adapter. The later immediately returns the controller's answer to the game.
  • Potential support for any expansion accessory without any intervention nor device-specific functionality required on the part of the emulator, of the plugin or of the adapter (except for the direct access feature), which means:
    • Rumble pack support (tested)
    • Memory pack support (tested)
    • Transfer pack support (not confirmed[1])
    • Bio sensor support (not confirmed[1])
  • And just like with a real N64 system, you simply need to insert the accessory you wish to use and the game will take care of everything else. No emulator configuration required to switch accessory...
  • Support for peripherals other than controllers.
    • N64 mouse (not confirmed[1])
    • VRU (not confirmed[1])
    • N64 Keyboard (not confirmed[1])
[1] I cannot test accessories I do not own yet. But the nice thing about this plugin is that it probably already works. Please contact me if you get the chance to test.
Will we see this plugin being ported on CEN64...? ;)
CPU: Intel i7 4770K @ 3.5 GHz
Build: AVX (compiled from git)