Controller I/O Analysis

Discuss emulation or program issues here.
fraser125

Controller I/O Analysis

Post by fraser125 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:01 pm

I've started analyzing the data that goes across the wire between the console and the controller and thought I would offer any requested data to help in your efforts.

I have the following hardware setup:
  • N64 Console (Region Modified)
  • Everdrive 64
  • Saleae Logic 8 Analyzer
  • Modified Extension Cable (for connecting the Logic Analyzer)
I have also acquired the following controller port based hardware:
  • Standard Controller (1st & 3rd Party)
  • Controller Pak aka Memory Card (1st & 3rd Party + 1st Party Japanese)
  • LodgeNet Controller (3rd Party)
  • N64 Glove - (Identical to a Std Controller)
  • UltraRacer 64 Controller - (Identical to a Std Controller)
  • Rumble Pak (1st & 3rd Party)
  • Transfer Pak (1st Party US + 1st Party Japan)
  • VRU - Voice Recognition Unit (1st Party US + 1st Party Japan)
  • N64 Mouse (1st Party Japan)
  • N64 Dance Pad (3rd Party Japan)
  • Pulse Sensor - Tetris 64 (3rd Party Japan)
  • Train Controller - Densha de Go! (3rd Party Japan)
Still needed : Randnet Keyboard
It's usually expensive and in "collector" condition, shipping box etc. I'm interested if anybody has one in non-collectible condition, or is willing to negotiate a loan situation via shipping or local in Seattle, WA, USA area. I don't need to disassemble but confirming and documenting each key press combination will probably require a couple of weeks. I do NOT have the DD64 but hope that the keyboard uses the standard protocol commands of 0x00 and 0x01 and therefore will respond using custom code or even another game sending those commands.

Have I missed any controller port peripherals?

I haven't analyzed much beyond the std controllers so your requests would help me prioritize my list.
My ultimate goal is the definitive controller protocol specification for custom controllers, but thought this information could help in other scenarios.

I'm starting to write some code to exercise the hardware directly, but would really appreciate assistance with this if available. I have compiled the example code I've found and even written a few lines of my own, but C# is my every day language and the "C" learning curves is pretty steep. I'd prefer a combination of Official SDK and the use of Open Source libraries, to thoroughly test everything.

MarathonMan
Site Admin

Re: Controller I/O Analysis

Post by MarathonMan » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:48 pm

Some of the guys in #n64dev on EFnet are reversing the CIC (and soon, the PIF?)

Neat stuff. Do you have any reservations with making the captured logic data public? If not, I'm more than willing to host it here.

fraser125

Post by fraser125 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:11 pm

Even though I'm performing my own tests, so many other articles and blog posts on the web provided me with additional insight and a jumping off point, in return YES I will be sharing all of the information I discover. Once it reaches a stable state I'd be happy to have the information mirrored here.

The current site is here: https://sites.google.com/site/consoleprotocols/home
It's pretty slim except this page: https://sites.google.com/site/consolepr ... xperiments

That should give you an idea of what I'm planning.

MarathonMan
Site Admin

Post by MarathonMan » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:52 pm

Cool, thanks for sharing the info! Unfortunately I've been tied up and can't make use of it myself, but hopefully someone else can make use of it for now ;)

tony971

Post by tony971 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:53 pm

If the VRU gets reversed engineered, we might finally get to play Hey You! Pikachu. Some work's already been started.

http://www.emutalk.net/threads/55279-He ... ementation